Saturday, January 8, 2011

Gila Box Picnic

It is a tradition in the Madsen Family to have a picnic lunch together while on an outing. So, this year we explored the "Gila Box" which is basically a name for the canyon area that the Gila River comes out of before entering the Gila Valley. Of course it is only fitting that we had box lunches for our picnic in the Gila Box! After a very scenic drive we stopped at a picnic-site next to Bonita Creek which is a tributary to the Gila. We ate our lunches and explored the area. I liked seeing Jeremy climb this big rock and walking down to the Gila River! Jeremy and I also found our first house! (This was a home built by one of the early settlers in the area, the metal roof is a modern add-on.) We stopped at a scenic overlook on the drive back to look at the Gila River and the end of the Gila Box! I also took some time to take some pictures of the Arizona cactus! What can I say, it is still novel to me, like Jeremy and snow! We had a very nice day in the Gila Box!

1 comment:

Emily V. said...

Interesting post about the cotton Gin place. Pretty amazing!

on this post I like Jeremy and Chris' sort of matching sweatshirts and I love your new house! Can I come visit? you guys are so cute!

Looks like you had a blast of course! Thanks for blogging, it is so fun to see all the fun you are having!